The mayor's WellnessWorks Initiative aims to engage Miami-Dade County employees on the benefits of a healthy lifestyle through the educational, wellness and recreational programs and facilities brought to you by County government.
Winter Extravaganza is happening at two locations from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Stephen P. Clark Government Center
Tuesday, Dec. 6
Outdoors in the west courtyard
- South Dade Government Center
Thursday, Dec. 8
Outdoors between the Library and Administration Buildings
- Shopping deals from Macy’s, Essential Oil Jewel and others. Renew your memberships with BJs and AAA. Engage with Beyond Med, Aflac, Dream Vacations, Transamerica and Brightline
- Enjoy WellnessWorks holiday-themed stations with massages, raffles, perks and healthful surprises
- Take your photo with Santa, brought to you by the Dade County Federal Credit Union, and join their prize hunt
- Savor delicious seasonal flavored treats from the Salty Doughnut, and holiday ham and turkey tastings from Asados Pepe
- Adopt a shelter pet and bring them home for the holidays
- Learn more about the resources at Miami-Dade Public Libraries and Culture Shock
- Florida Mobile Mammography will be at the Stephen P. Clark event on Dec. 6 only
- Caroling from the Transit Expressions Choir at the Stephen P. Clark Center downtown only
- Delightful entertainment, including a life-size snow globe and snow at both events
- Support Toys for Tots at the big holiday tree with Tropical Financial Credit Union and sign up for a $500 gift card giveaway
The race begins at 1 p.m. sharp at the walking track. The prize for the winner is a bike.
All participants earn 25 WellnessWorks points and bragging rights. Email email@example.com to join the race and receive updates leading up to the competition.
Help us wrap up a great year of healthy living at the Winter Extravaganza and trike with the best or cheer them on.
Location, Department and Fat Loss Location Winner
- OTV, FIN, Coryel Readon
- SPCC, FIN, Peter Cam
- Water and Sewer, WASD, Janet Kelly Marte
- South Dade Government Center, MDPLS, Lianna Pupo-Cuartes
- MLK, MDCR, Shawntia Kirkland
- MDPD HQ, FIN, Samiris Feliz
- Intracoastal, MDPLS, Dorian Postell
- Aviation, MDPLS, Luz Rossy
- MDFR, MDFR, Loudie Stfleur
Location, Muscle Gain Location Winner and Department
- OTV, Yoel Delrosario, ISD
- SPCC, Ashley Morris and Albert Golden, FIN/PA
- SDGC, Karen Solms, MDPR
- MLK, Tonja Evans, FIN
- MDPD HQ, Gaston De Cardenas, MDPD
- Aviation, Richard Garcia, Aviation
- Shawntia Kirkland
- Gaston De Cardenas
- Benjamin Mathis
Step Up and Thrive
Get active and make your steps count towards a greater goal to improve your health and fitness. Department teams will take on other department teams to compete for the greatest endurance and stride efforts to determine the Step Up and Thrive Face Off 2023 challenge champions.
- Registration period: Oct. 1 - Nov. 18, 2022
- Challenge dates: Jan. 23 - Nov. 11, 2023
- Round 1 (10 weeks): All teams compete
- Round 2 (8 weeks): Top 50 percent of teams to win round 1 will advance, bottom 50 percent of teams will be eliminated
- Round 3 (8 weeks): Top 50 percent of teams to win round 2 will advance, bottom 50 percent of teams will be eliminated
- Round 4 (8 weeks): Top 50 percent of teams to win round 3 will advance, bottom 50 percent of teams will be eliminated
- Final Round 5 (8 weeks): Final teams will compete head-to-head to become challenge champions.
Any participants eliminated from rounds 2 and 3 will be moved into an individual redemption tournament with the other participants eliminated in those rounds. This will continue until the start of round 4 of the challenge. So there will be redemption 2 and 3 individual champions and a team face-off champion.
Designated team captains will collect all participants’ complete information on the registration form and submit the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org by Nov. 18. Each department may enroll up to two department teams to compete in the tournament.
Each department team must have a minimum of 18 participants, including a designated team captain. The team captain is responsible for the following:
- Completing and submitting the Team Registration Form
- Coordinating swag bag and incentive prize pick-ups for their team
- Must appear on the registration form submitted by team captain
- Be registered on healthyroads.com
- Have a device that is linked to their Healthy Roads account to track steps by Jan. 1
- Must be benefits-eligible prior to Nov. 30
All participants earn:
- Wellness Works shirt and other incentives
- 25 Wellness points each quarter towards the 75 points required for eligible entry to $250 quarterly raffles
Winning department team members earn:
- Wellness Works MEGA Swag Bag
- Bragging rights
- Department receives Championship Wellness Works Belt and keeps it for one year until the next champion is selected
Please note, this is not a Quarterly Steps Challenge where employees register individually. A registration form is required for each team. Team members cannot be changed, added or replaced once set up. Any participant who displays significant anomalies in performance will automatically be disqualified from the competition. This may impact their team’s performance and result in elimination from the challenge.
A biometric screening is a great snapshot of your current health standpoint as it encompasses different measures from height and weight, waist circumference, blood pressure, and other health markers. By completing your biometric screening, you will receive 25 wellness points and $20 dollars 45 to 60 days after the quarter closes. If you receive 75 points in the quarter, you will be entered into a raffle to win $250. Get your biometric screening at any of the locations listed below and sign up.
WellnessWorks Incentive Winners
Congratulations to the annual winners of $500 for completing 75 points in all four quarters of 2021 and all fourth quarter winners of $250 for earning 75 points or more.
To enter for a chance at winning the quarterly or annual prize complete 75 points worth of WellnessWorks events or challenges each quarter (i.e. personal health assessment, biometric screenings, webinars, steps challenges, biggest winner challenge).
WellTalks are wellness talks provided by our EAP team. Find mental health tips, coping strategies, meditations and short videos dedicated to improving and maintaining your emotional wellness.
Wellness On Demand
Self-Care Webinar Series
WellnessWorks is hosting a Self-Care Webinar Series during the week at noon. AvMed health coaches and special guests will be presenting a short 15-to-20 minute webinar at noon on self-care topics. You will even have a chance to ask questions during the Q&A.
Register for the webinars you are interested in and take care of yourself. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with details on how to join the webinar.
- Tuesday, Nov. 29 - Surviving the Holidays: Nutrition Tips
- Thursday, Dec. 1 - Live in the Kitchen - Middle Eastern Chicken and Chickpea Stew
- Stress management
- Weight management
- Nutrition education
- Smoking cessation
- Healthy lifestyle & behavior modification
- Disease prevention/management
- Heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol
- Meal planning
Coaching sessions are private. Our coaches are HIPAA-Certified and ensure that all information remains completely confidential. No personal health information is shared with Miami-Dade County.
- Jalessa McCathen, MPH, HSA, CHES
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Danielle Portuondo RDN, LDN
WellnessWorks Registered Dietitian
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Deborah Fortino, MS, ACSM-CPT, ACE
Monday, Tuesday and Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Healthy and delicious seasonal recipes
These recipes can improve your health and can give you the energy and nutrients to conquer your day. They're easy to make and perfect for busy work days.
- Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos
- Pool Side Broccoli Salad
- Breakfast Tacos
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Healthier Orange Chicken
- White Bean Soup
- Apple Peanut Butter Toast
- Black Bean Avocado Toast
- Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Bowls
- Sweet Lemon Ginger Power Beet Juice
- Lemon Chia Seed Muffin Yogurt Parfait
- Fresh Tumeric Smoothie Bowl
- Strawberry Avocado Salad
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Pasta Cassarole
- Steamed Orange & Garlic Chicken